Or better yet make that, "jinx you owe me an Okanagan Cider Harvest Pear".
After today I need one.
I think I double jinxed myself. Remember a couple posts ago when I bragged about having "zero issues" with Saige transitioning to a big girl bed? Well last night she decided to prove me wrong and was up every 1/2 hour from 11:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. - she literally climbed out of bed and up the stairs to let me know she had no intention of falling asleep. I tried EVERYTHING - rocking, singing, rubbing her back, laying next to her, raising my voice, pretending I was sleeping... NOTHING worked. As a last resort I busted out the playpen in the pitch dark while muttering angry expletives under my breath (definitely not my best mommy moment). To be perfectly honest the bulk of my frustration was directed towards Trev who was sleeping like an angel while I dealt - not-so-quietly - with Saige big girl bed issues. Fortunately for Saige (and Trev) the playpen did the trick and we all slept in until 8 a.m.
Speaking of beds, remember I told you yesterday that Saige's new bed was anything but espresso colour? Well imagine my surprise when I walked into the Wood-n-Chick Furniture this morning and saw the yet-to-be-assembled pieces stained chocolate!!! My heart sank and then double sank when I learned that the matching head and footboards were shorter than the mattress we just purchased. Ugh. Sadly this was a bad case of spousal miscommunication (we've all been there). Wife Tilda understood my vision, but husband/carpenter Bill did not get the memo. As you can imagine this custom bed is a bit of a splurge for us and as such
we... I want it to be perfect. I guess I can live with the stain colour, but the mattress sticking out of the top is unfortunately a deal breaker. Being the wonderful people (and businesspeople that they are) Bill & Tilda offered to make us a new head and footboard; I'm secretly hoping they'll also change the stain colour back to my original selection of dark oak but I'm not holding my breath. Needless to say Saige will be sleeping on the floor awhile longer. In times like these I like to defer to the age old adage "everything happens for a reason" although it's becoming more like "most things happen for a reason"... somethings just suck and there's no rainbow at the end.
Holy rant! I'll let you know how it goes and I now turn your attention to today's happier points:
1. I patched, puttied and painted the day away. Our entire first floor - except Saige's bedroom and our one and only bathroom - was touched up with Cantaloupe 4 (our since retired General Paint colour that thankfully they can still whip up for us loyal customers).
2. Saige woke up from her nap and witnessed me painting - hopefully I didn't give her any ideas. She proceeded to ask me - you guessed it - "what you doing?" and when I told her I was painting she patted my back and told me "good job mom". What a little sweetheart! I seriously had to refrain from hugging her for fear of A. getting Cantaloupe 4 on her clothes and B. squeezing her to death. She totally redeemed herself with those two words... sleepless night, what sleepless night?
3. Saige has this educational and multilingual toy phone from VTech that taught her "hola". Listening to her answer the phone in Spanish is too much. I guess she's ready for Mexico, but after our mini-vacay in Red Deer, I'm not sure toddler vacations are my cup of tea. I think we may be leaving Saigelette home for Jill's 30th Mayan birthday.
4. I'breem... that's how Saige pronounces ice cream and while she can say "ice" and "cream" independently, together they come out I'BREEM!! And boy does she love her i'breem.
Here's another blast from the past...
November 9th, 2009
November 4th, 2010
* Believe it or not the matching Alfalfa hairdos are purely coincidental. Apparently this momma needs to shake things up a bit as her baby photo styling is so last year.